Thursday, December 8, 2011

Two Bosses and a Newbie

Just a general announcement, my poetry class is over.  I got my soul back!
More Cornholing Quotes:  Some of these might be repeats, but you’ll get over it.
“It’s an indoor cornholing.”
“I don’t hear the Cornhole smackn’ anymore.”
“Can we use your Cornhole?”
“Oops, we almost grabbed someone else’s Cornhole.”
“Daddy, they’re playing with our Cornhole.”
“They decorated the whole place with nutcrackers.” 

Tasty Tidbit #1:  Experiment Time
            My friend Alton sent me a link a month or two ago to a blog that she thought I needed to read.  It was by Seth Godin and he was writing about Talker’s Block.  The point of the blog, as I saw it, was that there is no excuse for writer’s block.  People don’t wake up and forget how to talk (that might be a direct quote, I’ve read it so many times) we just talk and we do it every day.  Same thing with writing, we need to write every day, no excuses.  I saw a t-shirt the other day that said “Even if it’s crap, get it on the page.” I think that’s what Mr. Godin was trying to say.  Just get write, period.  Some of what you write, and hell maybe most of what you write, is going to be crap, but write it any way.  Based on this little blog post by Godin and the other books that I have read I decided to start an experiment.  It’s an experiment in building a good writing habit.  I decided that I would write something each day on my other blog for the next thirty days.  I didn’t have to write a dissertation, but I have to write something, preferably something that I have learned, something I’m grateful for, something I’m working through, or something I want to share with people in a teaching like capacity.  I crapped out after day two.  That was pretty disappointing, but as I explain in my other blog I got over it and decided to try again.  So I did.  I got back up, brushed myself off and started over.  I could allow myself to self-sabotage my writing efforts (because that would be awesome and productive) or I can admit that this is a difficult process for me.  Starting over is not a bad thing, I see it as the courage to try again, to not give up, because giving up sucks.  It’s way easier to give up than to keep trying, but it’s also a lot less satisfying.  There’s a chance that I will have to start this experiment over again, possible many times.  I hope that every time it happens I pick myself up and start again, it’s the only way that I will find the greatness that I know is hiding inside of me.   

Two Bosses and a Newbie
            I couldn’t help myself; I just had to make that the title of this blog, mainly because it’s true.  I have a job.  In fact for the first couple of days after finding out I had been hired I walked around my house randomly announcing to no one that I had a job.  I announced it to no one because I was too afraid to announce it to anyone else.  I was concerned that I would jinx it or worse that I wouldn’t be able to do the job and then I would be let go in humiliation.  Yeah, I’m a little nuts sometimes.  Last Wednesday was my first day on the job and I was scared.  I didn’t want to walk through that door and fail.  Getting hired felt like an achievement, but keeping the job would be my responsibility and I was terrified I wasn’t up to the task.
            That first day is pretty much a blur and I have a damn good memory.  I took six pages of notes and I went home with my head spinning, but I was also grinning like an idiot.  I knew right away that the toughest part would be learning all the new dental terms.  Oh, did I mention the job is at a dental lab?  Slightly funny and ironic that someone who is terrified of dentists is now working in a job where you have to talk to dentists, make deliveries to dentists, and a vast array of other dentist involved things.  The Universe has its little jokes doesn’t it?  Anyway, after that first day, blur that it was, I felt confident that I could learn everything I needed to learn.  I knew it would take a lot of work and I was good with it.  There’s actually something fascinating about it, which I’m pretty sure just adds to the already mountain of weirdness that is me.  My love of learning new things is also in high gear with everything I’m learning in the lab.  I have to put it on record that I have the most awesome trainer.  The woman that’s training me also has an awesome name, but of course I can’t reveal that to you.  J  She has everything mapped out, she doesn’t mind that I ask a lot of questions and take a ton of notes; she doesn’t even mind that I talk to myself, which I do, a lot.  She takes it step by step and it’s been great.  I really couldn’t have asked for anyone better. 
            Everyone in the lab seems pretty cool.  Of course, there’s that getting to know you time period.  There’s one woman whose name I’ve been trying to remember for the past three days (so much for my damn good memory), I finally remembered it today.  From what I’ve seen thus far, which admittedly only comes out to about 20 hours of work, everyone knows exactly what they are doing and they do it well.  I feel like a fart in a tornado and I’m falling into the bad habit of second guessing myself.  Today is a good example.  The woman who’s training me left early for the day, so I had my short two hour shift on my own.  My first thought was, please for the love of God don’t let the phone ring.  Of course it did, but I asked for help and Boss number two was very helpful with both of the calls I took.  Did I mention I had two bosses?  Oh yeah, title.
            That first day, I had to tell both bosses that I wasn’t able to go to Missouri as I had originally planned.  See to make the deliveries you use the company car which is a stick.  I could kick myself for not learning when my friend who drives a stick lived here, but it just never seemed like the right time.  Well, the time was now and now her bladder decided to fall out.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I tell my bosses I can learn stick, her bladder falls out.  Well, damn.  So I go to tell Boss number one that I can work on Friday, but that I won’t be able to learn stick until next weekend.  I’m telling my tale to him and everything works out of course, but as I am walking to tell boss number two I realize that the whole time I was talking I was wringing my hands.  I mean for real, wringing my heads.  Who does that?  That’s when I told myself I needed to chill out just a little bit.  Wringing my hands.  Really?
            The rest of that week went by in a blur and this week has been much of the same.  I’m learning a lot and I still have a lot to learn.  I’m looking forward to my first full day so I can get a good feel for how the day flows.  My friends have all asked me how the job is going and I immediately start to smile when I think about it.  I am so grateful to have this job.  I am so grateful for this opportunity.  I’m learning all kinds of cool stuff. I have to admit that as I was unpacking today I was thinking that what I was seeing might make good material for a horror story.  I’m still nervous every time I walk through the front door, but I still walk out every night with that stupid grin on my face.  Life just kicks ass sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment